Decorative Wrought Iron Brackets : Hawaiian Room Decor.
Decorative Wrought Iron Brackets
- iron having a low carbon content that is tough and malleable and so can be forged and welded
- Used for wrought iron, as opposed to cast iron; usually a building or structural material.
- A tough, malleable form of iron suitable for forging or rolling rather than casting, obtained by puddling pig iron while molten. It is nearly pure but contains some slag in the form of filaments
- Wrought iron is an iron alloy with a very low carbon content, in comparison to steel, and has fibrous inclusions, known as slag. This is what gives it a "grain" resembling wood, which is visible when it is etched or bent to the point of failure.
- A category of people or things that are similar or fall between specified limits
- (bracket) either of two punctuation marks (`<' or `>') used in computer programming and sometimes used to enclose textual material
- (bracket) support with brackets; "bracket bookshelves"
- Each of a pair of marks [ ] used to enclose words or figures so as to separate them from the context
- A right-angled support attached to and projecting from a wall for holding a shelf, lamp, or other object
- (bracket) a category falling within certain defined limits
St. Regis New York
St. Regis New York
Two East 55th Street, at Fifth Avenue
New York, New York
The St. Regis Hotel is an 18-story Beaux-Arts landmark which cost five and a half million dollars upon its opening in 1904 (room for room it was the most lavish outlay for any New York Hotel at that time). The architects were Trowbridge & Livingston, with interiors by Arnold Constable. Construction began in 1901 and the hotel opened on September 4, 1904. The price of a room was $5.00 per day. The press at that time described the St. Regis as “the most richly furnished and opulent hotel in the world.”
Trowbridge & Livingston also designed the Astor owned Knickerbocker Hotel at 42nd and Broadway which now is an office building and in 1935 the Art Deco Oregon State Capitol in Salem, Oregon.
Built by Col. John Jacob Astor IV of ill-fated Titanic fame, the St. Regis featured Louis XVI furniture from France, had 47 Steinway pianos, Waterford crystal chandeliers, soaring ceilings, a telephone in every room, marble baths and U.S. mail chutes on each floor. Before his untimely demise aboard the Titanic, Astor fulfilled his vision of creating a hotel where "gentlemen and their families could feel as comfortable as they would as guests in a private home
As described by daytoninmanhattan.blogspot.com the limestone hotel was festooned with garlands, balconies, French windows and decorative wrought
iron railings. An elegant mansard roof, monumental console brackets
, and an snaking copper cresting added to the Parisian air of the design of a building intended to hold court over “the Queen of Avenues.”
At the time Astor was one of the wealthiest men in America, and owned half of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel which then was located twenty blocks south on Fifth Avenue. Astor had bought the plat of land at 55th and Fifth Avenue to be the site for his new mansion but thought better to build a hotel. Astor's great-grandfather, John Jacob Astor, also dabbled in hotels having built the Astor House in Lower Manhattan in 1836.
According to Wikipedia Astor named the new hotel, at the suggestion of his niece, after Upper St. Regis Lake in the Adirondacks. The lake had been named for a French monk, John Francis Regis, known for his hospitality to travelers, so the name seemed appropriate.
In 1910, Astor's wife Ava was granted a divorce. John Jacob met his tragic death on the RMS Titanic in 1912 while returning from his honeymoon with his new bride, Madeleine Talmadge Force. Astor's son Vincent Astor inherited the St. Regis and later sold it to North Carolina tobacco millionaire Benjamin Newton Duke but kept a $5 million mortgage on it.
In 1927, under Duke management a new wing designed by Sloan & Robertson extended the hotel down 55th Street with a compatible though less detailed limestone facade. The hotel now had 540 rooms and added a rooftop ballroom - The St. Regis Roof and the Salle Cathay (the main dining room), with its Chinese decor and illuminated mosaic panels. The Iridium Room Replaced the Salle Cathay and featured ice-skating. The Iridium decor was conceived by Anne Tiffany. The room was named for the costliest of precious metals, iridium. The Iridium later was converted to the King Cole Grille.
In the 30’s Joseph Urban designed the Seaglades nightclub, where Vincent Lopez's orchesta played. An ad for The Seaglades in 1930 stated: "THE SEAGLADES . . . Vincent Lopez not playing Nola any longer in the most beautiful surroundings in New York. The famed Joseph Urban surpassed himself here. The clientele is typically Park Avenue, with a smatter ing of those who really like Vincent Lopez and those who come to see why it is they don't really like him. Dress is obligatory. Plaza 4500. 224. Hotel St. Regis, 5th Avenue at 55th Street."
In 1935 Vincent Astor took back the St. Regis through a mortgage default (he maintained control of the hotel until his death in 1959). He appointed his brother-in-law Prince Sergbe Obolensky to the hotel's executive board (Later Obolensky worked for Hilton Hotels Corporation as Vice President of International Development). He contracted with Anne Tiffany to redecorate the hotel and hired Joseph Castaybert (Culinary Man of Year in 1956) as the hotel's executive chef. The Seaglades nightclub turned into the Maisonette Russe; it became one of the most popular supper-nightclubs in New York. The Roof was turned into the Viennese Roof. At one time, the Seaglades Nightclub in the St. Regis Hotel had a "Minuette" organ, built by the Estey Organ Company. The Maisonette had Peter Duchin and his orchestra playing through much of the 1960's.
A 1936 color print of La Maisonette Russe at the Hotel St. Regis in New York City had this to say: "Last year Vincent Astor acquired the St. Regis Hotel at Fifth and fifty-fifth, by mortgage forecloser. And last fall the St. Regis opened its Maisonette Russe, which was the idea of Mr. Astor's friend and realty associate, Prince Serge Obolensk
Gloucester, Spa Rd, The Judge's Lodging
Pair of semi-detached houses, now flats and restaurant. Built between 1833 and 1839. By Sir Robert Smirke for John Phillpotts. In 1864 converted to lodgings for Assize Court judges on circuit. Brick, the front faced in ashlar with decorative wrought
-iron balconies, slate roofs, brick stacks. Double-depth block, mirror-image block; the entrance to each of the original houses in a recessed bay at either end; on each side a small, single-storey lodge; at rear a long wing to either side. EXTERIOR: three storeys and full basement; tall symmetrical front of four bays, with a slight projection to the two central bays, and flanking recessed bays (1+4+1); the projecting front of the basement storey supports a verandah across the front of the four central bays; the basement and ground floors rustic
ated, the upper floors of plain ashlar; the outer corners of the central and recessed bays have clasping pilasters rising in stages corresponding to the basement, ground and first floors, and the second floor, with a base moulding at ground-floor level, and intermediate and impost mouldings; otherwise, on the first and second floors the central bays are defined by pairs of shallow, giant pilasters with Ionic capitals; at first-floor level across the four central bays a full-width, cantilevered balcony, supported on shaped brackets
, with delicate filigree, wrought
-iron standards, balustrade panels, and drop friezes, and with a metal, tent canopy roof; on the first floor of each of the recessed bays a cantilevered balcony with similar wrought-iron details; at second-floor level, between the pilasters, a raised band; the pilasters support a deep, continuous, crowning entablature and blocking course; in the centre above the blocking course a framed stone panel with flanking brackets
. On the ground floor of each of the recessed end bays an entrance doorway approached by a flight of stone steps flanked by decorative wrought-iron balustrades; each doorway in an opening with moulded stone architrave has narrow sidelights and a rectangular, metal fanlight with glazing bars in a decorative pattern, and a fielded six-panel door; in the central bays on the ground floor four sashes with glazing bars (3x4 panes), in openings with rustic
ated flat-arch heads, give access to the verandah; on the second floor in the central bays, and in each of the recessed end bays, taller sashes with glazing bars (3x5 panes) give access to the balconies; on the third floor in the front and recessed bays sashes with glazing bars (3x4 panes) in openings with projecting sills. The lodge flanking the side of No.29 of ground floor and basement, one-bay wide, with pilasters supporting an entablature and framing a sash with glazing bars (3x4 panes); the lodge flanking the side of No.31 is a lower single storey with similar pilasters and entablature framing a doorway with a moulded stone architrave and C20 door with glazed upper panels; in each of the brick side walls of the recessed end bays a very tall, stair well sash with glazing bars in opening with rubbed brick... IOE
Related topics: metal art decor nautical decor ideas moroccan decorations cabin decor catalog surfboard wall decor decorating designers cowboy hat decorations interior decor ideas new years eve party decorating ideas